The past week has been so much fun it almost seemed weird to have fun in Hopkins. We used to mug like crazy to do just enough among the competitive premeds, followed by lab, then mug again; dc was right that its strange to be actually vacationing in Baltimore. I didn’t realize what attachment I had to the place and the people until I found myself holding back tears at the airport, and taking aerial photos of Baltimore on the way back to Boston. The thought that that is probably the last time I am there, now that friends have all graduated, made the farewell extra memorable.
Bryce, Pauline and ZhenXing whom we came to see graduate with Master degrees. Bryce and Pauline came specially to Singapore for our wedding while TJ is credited for helping dc and I come together.. hee. Congratulations folks!
Baltimore never fails to surprise us. dc and I spent two hours travelling from the airport to school. This is us happily just starting our one-hour wait for the train.
Yay we made it just in time for TJ’s graduation that evening. That’s him on the screen!
Met Dr. Mao, my undergrad research advisor at the reception. He’s always been like a father to me.
Yay graduation photo taking with Dom, TJ and my dear ex-roomie Pauline. More photos and with other folks on picasaweb.
Despite us spending three years at Hopkins, we never knew about this quaint cafe at the Space Telescope Science Institute at the backyard of Hopkins. The sandwiches and quiches are yummy and the sweet potato fries are uhmmmmm FANTASTIC! dc’s already excited about eating.
Taking a short break before going for Nancy Pelosi’s speech at the undergrad commencement.
Controversial character at this stage, I know. Nonetheless, it is still interesting to see what the Senate speaker and third-in-line has to say.
Just chillin’ out and playing games at Pauline’s room after dinner. Pauline’s cooking is so good now – she can cater for 6-10 people all by herself in an hour, while I’m still happy to let dc mark his territory in the kitchen.
Met up with my grad student and just walking around school meeting people the next day. We felt like vagabonds just roaming around and taking in the school, but hey, it was good while it lasted (except it was super hot and humid in Baltimore – Boston has made us unable to tolerate Singapore weather).
If the two of them look familiar, its because they appeared in the wedding video briefly in one scene. 小叮当 was Cola’s new friend when we came visit last March, Pauline has graciously allowed us to adopt her, so now she’s found a new home in Boston!
Saturday was TJ day. He brought us to MissShirley’s where we had delicious breakfast (once again, a place we never knew about while we were in Hopkins. Apparently we mug too hard). Baltimore might seem ulu but it sure has no lack of good eats.
TJ made his famous Taiwanese beef noodles on my request! Hehe think I do have some 面子. It was so good we ate it all up and forgot to pack some for Pauline. Pauline, I promise I’ll cook it for you now that TJ has taught me the recipe!
Interestingly we ended up going to the National Aquarium the rest of the day. Another treasure of Baltimore that we missed? You bet.
The last day in Baltimore was just spent chilling and talking with friends again. Pauline was supposed to rush her poster for printing but I guess our presence completely distracted her.
Leaving’s not easy.. Not when people are going everywhere and it’s not going to be convenient to meet up again. Yet, it is so amazing to think of the accomplishments of each of our friends – Bryce is going on to med sch when he’s done with MS, Pauline’s going for PhD or med sch, Dom’s working on a Masters in child development (!!) and TJ’s going to Duke-NUS. On one hand I feel so excited for each of them, on the other hand we know its hard to get us all in one place like this again. Well at least I know for sure I will see TJ when I go home, and Pauline!! come to Boston lar!
I can’t be more satisfied with this trip. Friends to meet – all check, ‘update’ talks (started by TJ, he always sits us down in a semi-serious manner for a formal update haha) with close friends – all check, food to eat (Korean BBQ, Nirwana, Pete’s Grill, TJ’s beef noodles, Pauline’s cooking) – all check plus more surprises like Space Institute cafe and MissShirley’s.
More photos can be found in picasaweb:
| 090521 Baltimore! |
I miss Baltimore already!
P/S: It’s 11oC in late spring in New England. They had to choose this crazy cold night to do some maintenance so there is no heat or hot water. dc and I are freezing..!!


No comments:
Post a Comment