This weekend is full of writing from Cardio case report, Cardio Lab Report and a NIH grant writing simulation to a white paper to propose polymer synthesis. Just makes one wonder why professional life is all about writing, and writing and more writing. (Also makes me wonder why I'm taking a break from my writing assignments by do more writing in my blog.) As every instructor in every class says, "it's all about persuasive writing." You are smart, you have a great idea, so what if you can't portray that across and convince someone else it's really a great idea and worth its share of resources on this planet. Fair enough... I can't say much to that. I myself am cynical freak and would have demanded to be persuaded as well. So, the world is full of cynics huh... can't say much to that either. It's just human nature perhaps.
In the past week, I also witnessed the powess of the stock market. It wasn't long ago that stock market indices were topping the headlines for how much they crashed and how we started labeling a certain weekday "BLACK". Black Monday, Black Friday... we only had 5 working days to be called black and it's about time we pick another color. Anyway, it rallied pretty impressively in a recession like this. Many stocks doubled in price and best of all, seriously for no apparent reason. It's not like the economy is really recovering and definitely, news that banks needing billions to stay afloat should have helped either. I was looking at the portfolio I was holding on to and hey, the returns were not bad. Just 1 sec after feeling good that I was smart enough to have picked the right stocks, I realized well it was just that every stock had appreciated. No one can ever outsmart the stock market. True, they are made up of actions and reactions of human beings, but it's not the nature of human being that is unpredictable. Almost everyone has the same nature and so technically, I can guess what another person will do by simply being myself and ask myself what I will do. But it's the interactions of human beings that are unpredictable or scary to a certain extent. They are the hotbed for surprises.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment