Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Survived first year..

Unlike other semesters that usually end with a bang (read: periods of intense mugging + tough finals), this semester ended quietly, almost as though it didn’t want to be remembered. And it is true to say it is not a memorable semester at all. Of the four classes we took the past semester, one is a once-a-fortnight seminar which we usually lose attention half hour into the seminar, one is a seminar-cum-writing workshop which we gradually lost interest because we felt we aren’t getting enough feedback despite the efforts we put in, one is a chemical engineering class that unfortunately was not as intense as the others (hence not as memorable) and ended with a report, the last and the worst was a badly organized medical class that has an assignment due almost every lesson and five reports to write (dc and I confess that we learn only from the homeworks and not the lectures at all). No complaints though, at least the semester ended one week earlier for us on the account that there are no finals. dc and I are now all packed and waiting for the time to travel to Baltimore for our friends’ graduation ceremonies (Congratulations Tjen Sin, Yiran, Xiaoyang, Yichung, Grace! And soon Pauline and Bryce!)

Meanwhile, we had a celebration and mental stress-relieving weekend with Justin and Pauline. I say mental stress and not ‘stress’ in general because it was a little too taxing for my physically-weak body..

DSC_2716

Justin and Pauline invited us to their place for sushi dinner Friday night, check out the amazing array of sushi stuff Justin prepared! Fresh tuna, salmon, swordfish, spicy tuna, avocado, salmon roe, seasoned squid, omelette, seafood salad and tuna miso soup. I was so impressed that Justin even chilled the plates to complete the meal! We felt so spoilt by their hospitality.

They invited us for a fellowship hike at Blue Hill Reservation the next day, and me, thinking it’ll be a casual walk like at Bukit Timah Hill, eagerly agreed to go… Never underestimate US ‘hills’. I would like to follow with pictures, but dc is hurrying me to go to the airport. Will update when I’m back from good ole’ Baltimore!

No comments: