Sunday, January 18, 2009

Family in Boston - Part II Thanksgiving in Orlando

Thanksgiving falls on the last Thursday and Friday of November, but back in Hopkins we would typically get Wednesday off from professors on a goodwill basis. Being a freshman graduate student (an oxymoron, no?) and not yet inducted into the nerdy 'I want to keep learning' culture of MIT, I stupidly wrote an email to my teaching assistant asking if there'll be class as usual on Wednesday, only to be shot back an email that reminds me of 'institute policy' that Thanksgiving falls on Thursday and Friday.

So that Wednesday after class and a quick discussion on 'when we should ignore terms in an equation' (not all terms in an equation are created equally important) with our TA, dc and I rushed back home to pack and head to the airport on the T together with our family. Not surprisingly, the entire Boston was leaving for home and it was amazingly crowded on the airport-bound silver line bus.


Dinner at the airport. We never realized Johnny Rocket (or is it Billy Bomber? I forget) tastes so good! And check out my sister's weird-looking and interesting-tasting iced green tea latte at the end of the table.


I slept through the flight, despite the many interesting satellite TV channels on the plane. What can I say, it's a 10pm flight!


Us attempting to look cool in our Marriott Residence Inn (you guessed it!) suite. For two bedrooms, a huge living room and a fully-equipped kitchen, $158 isn't much to pay. Kudos to Residence Inn for affordable holidays!


First morning in the hotel. I love capturing people doing things (taking photos, for example), because I find candidness more interesting - in this case, for instance.


We went horseback-riding the first day. My horse is named Rosie, and she loves to stop to feed on the route, giving me a hard time pulling on her reins to coax her to continue. It was a trail in the woods, and at the end of the day, all of us found lots of black particles in our nasal mucus from the dust that was kicked up by the horses. Yuck.


Fat cat at the stable that was basking in the attention we were showering her.


Dinner at TGIFriday's. You may remember seeing this photo on the Dec 10 entry, and that's because this is one of the two (max three) photos of all five of us (sadly).


Outlet mall shopping on the Day 3 at Florida! (You will see Day 2 in the next entry.)


I love patchy cows and ice-cream.


Nike for babies! Kids nowadays are so fortunate.


My very own pair of new Nikes! Amazingly, by the end of the day, I would have bought a pair of snow boots and a pair of ladies boots, bringing my total shoe loot on that trip to three pairs.


Dinner at Red Lobster (considered fast food in Boston!!), compliments of American Express Rewards Program. We had trouble deciding who to drive after dinner, since the adults had a bottle of white wine and I had a delicious strawberry-mango cocktail slush. Thankfully we made it to the hotel safely (and without a ticket).

No comments: